Program Officer, The William and Flora Hewlett Foundation
The Program Officer will work in collaboration with the Performing Arts team and under the guidance of the Program Director to provide professional, operational, and programmatic support. Responsibilities fall into three categories: 1) research, identification, and analysis of potential grantees; 2) ongoing support and assessment of current grantees and special projects of importance to the regional and national arts ecosystems; and 3) assistance and support for Program and Foundation strategies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Planning and Strategy
- Collaborates with the Program Director in planning grantmaking strategies that will have strong impact in areas important to the Foundation.
- Invites, reviews, and responds to inquiries and proposals. Offers professional advice and field expertise to applicants and grantees.
- Works with grantees to develop and modify strategies to effectively use available resources while fulfilling Program goals.
- Develops briefing papers and Program-related reports that broaden the Foundation’s understanding of new approaches, best practices, and issues relating to the performing arts.
- Manages a diverse portfolio of grants; assesses progress and responds to financial and programmatic reports. Establishes and maintains effective relationships with current and prospective grantees.
- Ensures that sound financial controls are in place for each grant and that funds are spent wisely and according to grant agreements.
- Manages evaluation of grants and participates in assessments of Program strategies. Develops guidelines for measuring the success of grants and Program strategies.
- Drafts summaries of grant applications for triennial grant dockets for Board review and approval. Reviews, writes, proofs, and edits the docket memorandum.
- Organizes and coordinates Foundation-sponsored meetings of grantees and field experts.
- Represents the Foundation at appropriate external meetings, conferences, and site visits.
For the full job description, see the link here. No deadline given.